Sort file:- Canterbury, March, 2024.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 31 March, 2024.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton & Rory Kehoe

Earliest 1792-

Ship Inn

Latest 1927+

1 (35) St. Martin's Hill



Ship 1943

Above photo, circa 1943. Kindly sent by Tim Timpson.

Ship 1948

Above photo, 1948, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Ship inside 1948

Above photo, 1948, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Ship inside 1948

Above photo, 1948, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Ship inside 1948

Above photo, 1948, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Former Ship 1949

Above photo, circa 1949. Taken about 20 years after the pub shut, when it was occupied by a Mr. Jasper Percy Mounsey. (1887-1952)

The "Ship" backed onto the graveyard of St. Martin's, the oldest parish church in England. Kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Former Ship 1961

Above photo, circa 1961. Kindly sent by Tim Timpson.

Former Ship 1961

Above photo, circa 1961. Kindly sent by Tim Timpson.

Former Ship 1961

Above photo, circa 1961. Kindly sent by Tim Timpson.

Former Ship 2019

Above photo, August 2019, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe. You can just see the lych gate of St. Martin's church where corpses could be sheltered if the priest was running a little late for burial services.

To the left is the eastern perimeter wall of the former Canterbury Gaol, which is now part of Christ Church University.


Situated at number 1, number 2 was the "Princess Charlotte," that closed in 1972 after a compulsory purchase.


Kentish Gazette, 30 October, 1792.


Sunday Mr. Francis Cobb, master of the "Ship" public house, on St. Martin's Hill near this city.


Kentish Gazette 4 June 1819.

I few night since, the "Ship" public house, Saint Martins Hill, near this City, was forcibly entered and two legs of pork, 26 lbs. each, a quantity of liquor, and several other articles, stolen therefrom, with which they got off unperceived.


Kentish Chronicle, 10 November, 1829.


Nov. 9, universally respected, aged 35 years, Sarah, wife of Mr. John Ealse, of the "Ship," St. Martin's Hill.


From the Maidstone Gazette and West Kent Courier, 25 May 1830.

A few days ago Mrs. Harris, of the "Ship" public house, Canterbury, while in the act of waiting on some customers, suddenly dropped down dead upon the table around which the company were sitting.


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Tuesday 12 June 1849.


Important sale of the extensive Brewery of Messr's Flint, including 30 old established Inns and Public Houses, and other valuable property.

Mr. V. J., has received instructions to sell by auction, at the "Fountain Hotel," Canterbury, on Tuesday and Wednesday, 26th and 27th of June, at 12 o'clock each day, (in consequence of the death of the senior acting partner and the retirement of the surviving partners,) the valuable property known as Messrs. Flint's Brewery, in Stour Street, Canterbury, and the Inns, Public Houses, and other valuable property connected with theirwith. The first day sale on Tuesday, 26th June, 1849, will comprise the following property in and near the city.

Public houses.

Lot 1. The "City of Canterbury," situate on the road to Whitstable. Freehold.

Lot 2. The "George and Dragon," Westgate without, leasehold under Hind's charity for 17 years unexpired.

Lot 3. The "Three Compasses," Westgate within. Freehold.

Lot 4. The "Bell Inn" and Coach Office, in the High Street. Freehold.

Lot 5. The "Prince of Wales," St. Alphege Lane,. Freehold.

Lot 6. The "Weavers Arms," Broad Street, freehold and partly leasehold.

Lot 7. The "White Swan," Northgate. Leasehold under St. John's Hospital for a short term, at a ground rent.

Lot 8. The "Kings Head," Northgate. Freehold.

Lot 9. The "Swan Inn," at Sturry (close to the railway station). Freehold.

Lot 10. The "Ship," St. Martins Hill, freehold.

Lots 12. The "Star Commercial Inn and Tap," St George's, close to the Cattle market and Dane John. Freehold.

Lot 13. The "Blue Anchor," Old Dover Lane, near the Cattle market. Freehold.

Lot 14. The "Fleece Inn," High Street, opposite to the Corn market. Freehold.

Lot 28. Three neat Cottages opposite the Brewery, with large gardens extending to the river.

Lot 29. The "Two Brewers" public house and Spirit Warehouse, adjoining the last lot.

Lot 31. The "Black Dog" public house, Castle Street.

Lot 34. The "Duke's Head" Public House, Wincheap Street.

Lot 35. The "King's Head," Public House, Wincheap Street.

Lot 37. The "Royal Exchange," public house, Stour Street.

Lot 38. The "Kentish Arms," public house, and 5 cottages in Jewry Lane. Leasehold for a short term at a low rent.

Lot 40. The "Duke William," at Ickham, abiout five miles from Canterbury. Freehold.

Lot 41. The "Royal Oak Inn," at Deal. Freehold except a small portion.

Lot 42. The "King's Arms," Beach Street, Deal, and Cottage in the rear. leasehold for a short term, at a Ground rent.

Lot 43. The "Fleur De Lis," near the Railway Station, Dover. Leasehold for a term of 6 years, at a Ground rent of 3.

Lot 44. The "Two Brewers," Limekiln Street, Dover. leasehold for a term of 46 years, at a ground rent of 3.

Lot 45. The "Fountain Inn, adjoining the Market place at Dover. Freehold.

Lot 46. The "Lord Nelson," Radnor Street, near the harbour, Folkestone. Freehold.

Lot 47. The "Bricklayers Arms," Fancy Street, Folkestone. Freehold.

Lot 48. The "Castle Inn," at Sandgate. Leasehold for a short term, at a ground rent of 7s. 6d.

Lot 49. The "King's Head Hotel and Tap," at Margate. Freehold.

Lot 50. The "New Inn," at Elham, on the road to Hythe. Freehold.

Lot 51. The "King's Arms," at Milton near Sittingbourne. Freehold.

The Public Houses are for the most part in the occupation of unexceptionable tenants, and the majority of them are doing trades, both in beer and spirits, considerably above the average run of Country houses. (None of them have been beer shops; they're all old Licence Houses, with connections of long standing, thereby affording ample security for the permanency of the trade). The Premises generally are in a superior state of repair.

Particulars and Plans, price 1s. each, may be had of Messr's. Furleys and Mercer, Solicitors, Canterbury; at the "Fountain Hotel;" and of Mr. V. J. Collins, 3, Moorgate Street, London.


Kentish Gazette, 8 June 1852.


Joseph Burley, a young man, was charged with having stolen three sovereigns from the person of William Holyer, an original character, whose double "Buz" has graphically depicted in one of his works. The two parties had been drinking together the previous day, and the following evidence was elicited by the bench of the prosecutor, who described himself as a butcher just retired from business, and living at Ramsgate, but the precise part of the town the peculiar treacherous state of his memory prevented his accurately describing, though no one knew the name of the place better than he did. Having collected the scattered remnants of his reflections, by the application of his hand to his forehead in a style that would have done credit to a "gem" of the sister isle, he applied his powers, in a philosophic mood, to detail the incidents of his rambling adventure.

He said:- I left Ramsgate in the morning with five sovereigns and a half crown in my pocket, - but it is pretty well melted now. I had a pony with me. I saw the prisoner at Fordwich, and we had some ale altogether. He appeared desirous somehow, of keeping my company. We left there about 10 o'clock for Canterbury. I had never seen the prisoner before. I believe we came into Canterbury together, but you see I don't recollect very well when I have had a little drink. I called at Newman's in the Military Road, but I don't know whether he went with me or not. I went to the "Ship" at St. Martin's Hill, where the prisoner said I was his father. We sat drinking together - I paid all. I dropped off to sleep, and I don't know what occurred after that. I know I had three sovereigns in my pocket when I went into the "Ship."

John Ireland proved that the prisoner and prosecutor were drinking together, and were both the worse for liquor. The former put his hand into the prosecutor's pocket and took out three sovereigns, with one of which he paid for some soda water and beer. He held the money in his hand openly, and shortly after left the house. Witness followed and gave him into custody of the police.

Superintendent Spratt searched the prisoner, who placed two sovereigns in his hand and told him to put it on one side for himself. There was 18s 2d. on him in addition to the gold.

The prisoner in defence stated that he had been drinking with the prosecutor, who had requested him to sell his pony for him. The prosecutor told him to take the money, and then he (prisoner) said he would take care of it for him, as he was the "soberest." He left the house with the intention, as he had told the prosecutor, of seeing the parties about selling the horse, when he was taken into custody.

Ireland was re-called, and stated that no such conversation took place between the prosecutor and the prisoner, as had been alleged by the latter.

The prisoner thereupon change the venue of the conversation, which he urged was on their way from the "George and Dragon" to the "Ship."

He was fully committed for trial at the sessions.


Southeastern Gazette, 21 June 1853.

A Public House and Land for 4d. a Year.

At a meeting of the Town-council on Monday, the application of Mr. Furley for a renewal of the lease of the "Ship" public-house, St. Martin’s-hill, and land adjoining, originally granted to one Mark Berry for 300 years, at 4d. a year rent, was again considered, the opinion of the Solicitor-General having been obtained as to the legality of the proceeding. A clause in the lease bound the corporation to renew the lease for 300 years, providing application was made for the same prior to the expiration of the term of years first granted. Mr. Bethell was of opinion that the corporation were perfectly competent to renew the lease, but as they were trustees of public property, he advised an application first to the court of equity. Some discussion took place on the subject, and ultimately it was resolved, upon the motion of Mr. Sankey, seconded by Mr. Walker, that a new lease be granted for the term of 300 years, at 4d. per year. Thus is the public property confiscated, virtually given away, for a period of 300 years, without, comparatively speaking, the slightest consideration in return. Is there no public spirited individual in this city who will stand up in defence of its property, and prevent the ultimate realization of this intended alienation of such a valuable commodity as "lands and buildings?" Surely there is one, for the credit of the city and the preservation of its honour!


Kentish Gazette, 16 May 1854.

Coroner's Inquest.

Mr. Delasaux held an inquest on Wednesday at the "Ship Inn," in this city, on the body of an infant child belonging to a gipsy tribe, of the name of Taylor; which though well as usual when its mother went to sleep overnight, was found dead by her aide in the morning.

Verdict "Natural death."


From the Kentish Chronicle, 8 September, 1860.


An inquest was held on Thursday evening, by C. J. Fox, Esq., deputy coroner, at the "Ship," St. Martin's Hill, on the body of Frederick Skinner, aged 11 years, who met with an accident, which proved fatal under the following circumstances; he was employed in putting pug into a brick mill, in Longport, when stooping to avoid the bar as the horse passed round, not being sufficiently low the bar caught his head, which drew him to the mill and crushed it. The verdict returned was Accidental Death.


South Eastern Gazette, 11 September, 1860.

A Boy Crushed to Death.

A frightful accident occurred at the brickworks connected with the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, situate in the Barton Fields, on the afternoon of Thursday last. A little boy named Frederick Skinner, only 11 years of age, son of one of the brickmakers, and who was rendering a little assistance, met with almost instantaneous death, his head being completely crushed by the shaft of the pug-mill. In the evening the deputy coroner, C. J. Fox, Esq., held an inquest on the body, at the "Ship Inn," Longport, when Catherine Lemar, residing in Broad-street, deposed that while at work between two and three o’clock that afternoon in Little Barton Fields, she saw the deceased putting some of the "slop" into the pug-mill, and his head was almost immediately crushed between the pole and the mill. She gave the alarm, and one of the moulders took the deceased away and then went for the doctor. He was laid down on some straw, his head being covered with blood, and his brains were hanging from his nose and mouth. Aaron England, labourer, confirmed the last witness’s testimony, stating that he asked some persons who were standing by to go for the doctor, but as none were willing to do so, he went himself. The deceased never spoke, and witness believed he died almost immediately after the accident. The pug-mill in question was constructed similar to all others. Mr. T. S. Cooper, surgeon, said he found the boy dead, he having sustained a comminuted fracture at the base of the skull. The brain was protruding from the nose, and blood issuing from both ears.

Verdict "Accidental death."


South Eastern Gazette, 9 October, 1860.

Highway Robbery by Soldiers.

On Wednesday last two privates in the 90th Regt., named Jas, Buckley and John Bremner, were charged with having stolen a watch, a bunch of keys, and several other articles, from the person of George Hatton, also a private in the same regiment, on the previous night. It appeared that at about half-past six o’clock on the previous evening prosecutor went to the "Shakespeare" public-house with the prisoners and had some beer. They shortly afterwards left. Buckley told prosecutor that they wanted to make a call, and would show him a near cut home. They went across the fields from the "Ship Inn," St. Martin’s, in the direction towards the Military Hospital, and Buckley asked the prosecutor to show him the time. He refused to take his watch out, and replied that it was half-past 8. Buckley then asked him to show him the watch, and said he would not hurt it. Prosecutor, however, said it was too dark for him to see it. Buckley then put his arms round prosecutor’s waist and threw him down. Bremner sat upon him, and the prisoners put their hands into his pockets. Prosecutor called out, and Bremner then placed his hand over his mouth and his knuckles against his throat. Prosecutor was getting weak and took his hand out of his pocket (where he had been holding his watch), when Buckley seized the watch and then ran off. He identified the bunch of keys as his property. In addition to the watch and keys, 1s. 5d., and a piece of tobacco were taken from him. The value of the watch (which had not been found) was 25s.

Sergt. Carr proved finding the keys, a knife, and a piece of tobacco, in the field spoken of by the prosecutor, at seven o’clock that morning.

P.S. Andrews deposed to taking the prisoners into custody at half-past 11 on the night in question. The prisoners, who denied all knowledge of the robbery, were committed for trial.


South Eastern Gazette, 23 October, 1860.


The Autumn Quarter Sessions for this city and borough were held before the Recorder, John Deedes, Esq., on Wednesday last. There were 12 prisoners for trial.

James Buckley and John Bremner, soldiers, were indicted for stealing from the person of Geo. Hatton, a watch, value 25s., and other articles, at St. Mary Northgate, on the 2nd inst. Mr. Barrow prosecuted.

The prosecutor, also a soldier, deposed that on the evening in question he saw both prisoners at the Soldiers’ Institute. They asked him to go and have some beer, and he accompanied them to the "Shakespeare." They stayed there about half-an-hour. When they left they went towards St. Martin’s-hill, and called in at the "Ship." The prisoners then told him they would show him a short cut to the barracks, and took him across the hospital fields. While going along, Bremner asked witness the time, and he replied that it was half-past eight. Witness had his watch in his fob pocket, and the prisoners asked him to show it to them. He told them that it was too dark for them to see it, and, having his suspicions, he put it into his trowsers pocket. Buckley then threw him down, and Bremner pressed his knuckles upon his throat and sat upon him. Witness called out as loud as be was able. Buckley, however, put his hand in witness’s pocket, took the watch out, and wrenched it from the chain. The prisoners then ran off. Witness afterwards found that he had lost a bunch of keys, a knife, and a piece of tobacco. When he went with the prisoners he had his own cap, but on the following morning he found that he had got another man's, and he believed it was Bremner’s.

Sergeant Carr, 90th Regt., proved that on the night of the 2nd inst. he apprehended the prisoners. On the following morning he went across the hospital fields, and there he found a bunch of keys, a knife, and a piece of tobacco. Where he found the articles, the grass had the appearance of a struggle having taken place.

P.C. Andrews was with the last witness when the prisoners were apprehended. On the morning following, he found a soldier’s cap strap in the cell in which the prisoners were locked up.

The prosecutor was re-called, and he identified the knife, keys, and also the strap as his property.

The jury found the prisoners guilty, and they were each sentenced to four years’ penal servitude.


From the Kentish Chronicle and General Advertiser, 23 November, 1861. Price 1 1/2d.


An inquest was held on Tuesday at the “Ship Inn,” St. Martin's Hill, by T. T. Delasaux, Esq., coroner on the body of Charles Voisey, a prisoner in the county gaol, who died on the previous day. It appears that on the 23rd of October the deceased was taken ill with spitting of blood, and continued getting worse till the 19th instant, when he died. Mr. Tassell attended him. The jury returned a verdict of “Natural Death.”


From the Kentish Chronicle, 5 April, 1862.


T. T. Delasaux Esq. held an inquest at the “Ship Inn,” St. Martin’s Hill, Canterbury, on Monday, on the body of John Baby, a prisoner convicted in St. Augustine's gaol. The following evidence was taken:- Thomas Taylor, head warder of the gaol said:— The deceased, John Baby, was committed on the 19th of March last to St. Augustine’s Gaol, from the city of Canterbury, under conviction for breaking windows at the Workhouse. In a day or two he complained of illness, and was placed under the care of the surgeon, and continued so until his death, which took place on the 29th of March.

Robert Tassell, surgeon, residing in Canterbury, said:- The deceased was a prisoner in the gaol of St. Augustine’s, and on the 21st of March he first complained of illness, and for which I intended him. He was suffering from catarrh, and on the 24th he had decided symptoms of low fever, and I treated him accordingly. He had everything necessary, but died on Saturday from a natural cause.

The jury returned, a verdict of “Natural Death."


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 21 September 1867. Price 1d.


On Monday last an instance of the uncertainty of life occurred at Hop Hall hop gardens. It appears that a man named Daniel Gammon, a resident of Longport, was hop picking, when he was observed to fall; and on a man named Sladden going to pick him up, was found to be dead. He was then taken to the "Ship Inn" to await the Coroner's inquest. In the evening the inquest was held on the body, and the following evidence was taken:—

William Strut said:- This morning about nine o'clock I saw the deceased in Hop Hall hop gardens hop picking. I spoke to him, and saw him several times as I passed up and down the gardens. At that time he appeared in his usual health. My attention was afterwards drawn to the deceased by a man named Sladden, and on going to him I found him lying on the ground. With assistance I turned him over, and I believe he shortly afterwards expired.

Henry Ebenezer Hutchings, surgeon, said:- I was sent for to the hop garden above mentioned to attend the deceased, and found him lying on his back quite dead. I made a post-mortem examination of the body, and there were no Marks of violence on it. From the appearance, and the evidence given by Strut, I am of opinion that deceased died of disease of the heart.

Richard Sladden said:- I know the deceased, who is 70 years of age. He was employed in the hop garden this morning. I saw him about a quarter-past twelve. He was then walking over some ploughed ground towards Canterbury, and appeared to be a his usual health. As soon as he had reached the hop garden he fell to the ground. I went to him about eight minutes alter he fell, and I believe he was then dead. He was quite alone when he fell, no person being within 100 yards of him. I called for assistance, and William Strut, the previous witness, came.

The Jury returned a verdict of "Death from Natural Causes.”


From the Whitstable Times, 21 July, 1900.


The City Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) held an inquest at the "Ship Inn," St Martin's Hill, Canterbury, on Monday evening, respecting the death of James Henry Spilling, who was found on the previous Friday with several strands of oakum tied round his neck in his cell at the Canterbury Prison, where he was undergoing a sentence of twenty-one day's imprisonment for begging in Deal.

William John Spilling, labourer, living at 9, Cannon Street, Deal, identified the deceased as his brother who lived at 5, Cannon Street, Deal. The deceased was a married man and left six children. he was addicted to drink at times and once before he was convicted for begging and sent to prison. On the 11th July he was convicted again and sentenced to twenty-one days' imprisonment.

Harrison Wall, a warder at her Majesty’s Prison, Longport, Canterbury, deposed that he was acting as gate-keeper when the prisoner was brought in at five o'clock on the 11th from Deal. he seemed vary rational and witness passed him on to the reception. On the 14th witness took over the duties of orderly officer and was at the infirmary till 6.50 watching the deceased when he died.

Chief Warden Ward stated that he received the prisoner on the morning of the 12th. He was acting governor at the time. The man was brought before him with many others. He was able to answer all his questions and there appeared nothing unusual about him. He seemed a man that had been drinking a good deal. On the 13th when the witness was making his morning inspection of the cells he found the deceased lying on the floor with his face downwards. Witness turned him over and immediately unfastened his shirt in the neck. He found several pieces of oakum which had been tied together round the deceased's neck. They were tied round his neck very tightly. He cut the rope away and with Warder Hill dragged deceased into the daylight, where they applied artificial respiration for three or four hours. His breathing eventually came back. The doctor was sent for and he arrived at 11.45. About four o'clock the doctor had the deceased removed to the Prison Infirmary. The deceased died about thirty-two hours after he was found in the cell. He never regained consciousness.

Mathew Hills, a warder, who was with the Chief Warder, corroborated.

Mr. Pugin Thorning, surgeon to H.M. Prison, Canterbury, deposed that he was sent for and on arrival at the gaol found the Chief Warder and the deceased. He gave instructions what was to be done and had the man sent up to the Hospital. he died at ten minutes to seven o'clock on Saturday evening from the effects of strangulation.

The jury returned a verdict that deceased committed suicide whilst temporarily insane.


From the Whitstable Times, 27 September 1900.

The City Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) held an inquest on Monday afternoon at the "Ship Inn," St. Martin's Hill, Canterbury, touching the death of a baby named Charles William Wellard.

Isobel Margaret Wellard, the mother, stated that she lived with her husband at 21, St. Martin's Hill. The deceased baby was five months old. The previous Monday the child was taken ill and she procured a powder for it from Mr. Harris, chemist, St. Margaret's Street. She then got another powder from Mr. Harris's as the child did not get better. At 6.30 on Sunday morning the child seemed bad and a doctor was sent for at 8.30, but the child died about nine o'clock before the doctor's arrival.

In answer to the Coroner witness said she thought the child had a fit before dying.

Charles Wellard, a labourer, in the employ of the last witness and father of the deceased. He woke up on Sunday morning and noticed the child was queer. He fetched Mr. Frank Wacher afterwards. The doctor got to the house about a quarter past ten but the child was then dead. He went and asked Mr. Wacher to come up but when he got back he was told that the child was very bad so he went down to Mr. Wacher again. Mr. Wacher was then just putting his hat on in order to come to see the child.

Mr. F. Wacher, surgeon, stated that on Sunday morning he was called to 21, St. Martin's Hill, to see the deceased. The father, who fetched him, told him that the child was suffering from diarrhoea. He came again about about a quarter past ten just as witness was about to start. He went to the house and found the child dead. It had been dead some time. He examined it. It was a healthy child and well nourished. There were no marks of violence.

In reply to the Coroner witness said the only sign of the deceased having had a fit was that its hands were clenched.

The Coroner said the doctor surely did not want any more evidence about that.

Mr. Wacher said he was told that the parents had obtained powders from Mr. Harris, St. Margaret's Street. he (Mr. Wacher) considered that the fact of the child being ill from Tuesday until Sunday should have induced the parents to seek medical advice after giving the first powder to the child which was obtained from an unqualified practitioner.

Mr. F. R. Harris, who was in attendance, said that he had dispensed powders and medicines for a great number of years. He was dispenser at the Canterbury Dispensary for many years, and had never been connected with an inquest before in all his career.

The Coroner, in summing up said that it was very clear from the evidence that the child had a fit. Children often had convulsions, and in this case it was quite clear from the fact that the child's hands were clenched that it had had a fit. It would no doubt have been better had the parents called in a doctor before, but it was a good thing that poor people could go to chemists and to Mr. Harris and get powders at a cheap rate.

The jury returned a verdict of "Death from convulsions."


From the Whitstable Times, 18 May, 1901.

George Philpott, landlord at the "Ship Inn," St. Martin's Hill, was summoned for keeping his house open during prohibited hours on the 3rd May.

Mr. H. Fielding prosecuted on behalf of the police. Defendant pleaded not guilty.

Sergeant Jackson stated that at 11.30 p.m. on the 3rd Inst. he was outside the "Ship" public house with P.C. West. He saw lights and heard voices, and, on listening, he heard someone say that if anyone came to the house they were to say they were lodgers. On entering the house he found two soldiers, who said they were on pass, but on further questioning them one said he had not got his pass with him, and the other said he had got an extension of leave, but it had been sent to his home. Defendant said the men were lodgers, and had paid for beds. On the table were glasses containing beer, and another one gin.

P.C. West corroborated.

Defendant stated that early on the evening in question the two soldiers came and asked if they could have beds, and he told them they could. At 11 o’clock one took his beer into the living room, and the other went out, but came back shortly afterwards and paid for his bed, the other having done so early in the evening. No liquor was drawn after 11 o’clock, except a little rum for his wife. The soldiers slept in the house that night. He did not know they were out without leave. One of them had slept at his house on previous occasions.

Mary Smith, who was staying at the "Ship" with her husband on the night in question, stated that she was in bed at 11 o’clock and heard the premises closed, and afterwards re-opened. She knew the men slept at the house that night as she heard them go to bed and also heard them get up in the morning.

William Kain, private in the 9th Lancers, stated that on the 3rd May he slept at the "Ship." He had been on leave, and an extension of the leave had been sent to his home, but had not reached him, so he decided to stay for the night at the "Ship." He paid for his bed early in the evening. He was in the landlord’s room when the police came in.

The Chairman said that the Magistrates had come to the conclusion that although there was a certain amount of justifiable suspicion, it was apparent at any rate one of the soldiers had intended to sleep there, and the case would be dismissed; but he advised the landlord to be very cautious as to taking in soldiers without seeing their passes.


From the Whitstable Times, 8 February, 1902.


The City Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) held an inquest at the “Ship Inn,” St. Martin's, Canterbury, last Wednesday afternoon, touching the death of Theodore McNeill, alias William Mason, aged 42, a clerk, a prisoner in His Majesty's Prison at Canterbury.

The Governor of the Gaol (Mr. Farewell) and Father Power, the Roman Catholic Priest, attended the inquest.

Evidence was given by William Norris and Henry Penny, temporary warders, and Harrison Wall, warder at the gaol, as to deceased being admitted and as to his health during the time he was there.

It appeared that the deceased was convicted at Margate Quarter Sessions in August, 1901, of theft, and sentenced to nine months' hard labour. He had been in ill-health and everything was done for him that could he done. On the doctor’s advice he had not been put to hard labour and he had been in the Prison Hospital for some time. He got worse and died on February 8. In the opinion of Mr. W. Pugin Thornton, who made a post-mortem, death was due to an aneurism of the aorta.

The jury returned a verdict of Death from Natural Causes.


From the Whitstable Times, 15 November, 1902.


William Seames was charged with stealing ten fowls from an out-house at the back of the “Ship Inn,” St. Martin's Hill, and Frederick Steed was charged with receiving two of them knowing them to have been stolen.

Inspector Dunk said he only proposed calling evidence of arrest, and he would then ask the magistrates to remand prisoners until Friday.

Inspector Dunk stated that at about 4.50 the previous evening he arrested the prisoner Soames in the “Garrison Arms,” Northgate Street. He charged him with steeling ten fowls, the property of Mr. Shrubsole, St. Margaret's Street. Prisoner said witness had made the biggest mistake he had ever made in his life, and was on the wrong scent. He had never seen any fowls. Witness took him to the police station.

Sergeant Swain stated that ha saw the prisoner Steed sitting on a form in the bar with the two fowls produced, beside him. Witness asked him how he accounted for being in possession of the fowls. Prisoner said he knew nothing about them. They didn't belong to him. He took prisoner to the police office and charged him with receiving two fowls knowing them to have been stolen. Prisoner said he gave 2s. for them.

Prisoner denied knowing the fowls were stolen.

Prisoners were remanded until Friday, bail being allowed.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 28 July 1923.

The "Ship Inn" to go for Compensation.

At the principal meeting of the Canterbury Licensing Magistrates on Thursday a final effort was made to retain the licence of the old "Ship Inn," St. Martin's Hill. Mr. R. H. Arrowsmith applying for its renewal on behalf of the owners and the tenants. At the last annual licensing sessions the house was scheduled for compensation, the police having reported it as not being required for the needs of the district. After hearing Mr. Arrowsmith and his witnesses the justices refused to renew the licence.


From Old Inns of Kent, Maynard, 1924.

"A former landlord of the Ship Inn had on display a number of relics from the 1838 Battle of Bossenden Wood, including blood stained clothing and some farm tools which had been used as weapons. These historical artefacts were burnt by the present proprietor on account of their filthy condition."

As this book was written in the early 1920s I guess the guilty party was landlord Albert Priest. Tut!



COBB Francis to Oct/1792 dec'd

HAYWOOD Richard 1824-28+ Pigot's Directory 1824Pigot's Directory 1828-29

EALSE John 1829-40+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34Stapletons GuidePigot's Directory 1840

CLARK Richard 1841-47+ (age 50 in 1841Census) Bagshaw's Directory 1847

CLARK Mrs Ann 1858+ Melville's 1858

STOCK William 1861-62+ (age 32 in 1861Census) Post Office Directory 1862

STROUD Thomas 1871+ (age 68 in 1871Census)

DUCROW John Newman 1874+ Post Office Directory 1874

???? Albert 1878+ Greens Canterbury Directory 1868

OLIVER James 1881-82+ also Chelsea Pensioner age 44 in 1881Census) Post Office Directory 1882

MARTIN Mrs Sophia 1891+ Post Office Directory 1891

GAVIN Arthur Robert 1891+  (info from Jane Camp)

PHILPOTT George 1901+

MEARS Nicholas John 1903+ Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903

HUMBLE James (also Sergeant RAMC age 38 in 1911Census) & Lydia Mary 1911+

SOAMES Thomas 1913+ Post Office Directory 1913

PRIEST Albert 1922+ Post Office Directory 1922


Pigot's Directory 1824From the Pigot's Directory 1824

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Stapletons GuideStapleton's Guide 1838

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Greens Canterbury Directory 1868Greens Canterbury Directory 1878


Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-