Sort file:- Deal, December, 2021.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 28 December, 2021.


Earliest 1662

King's Arms

Latest 1877

185 (176) Beach Street


Former King's Arms

Above photo, date unknown by Darkstar.


Not to be mistaken with the "Kings Head," Deal, or indeed the "Kings Head," Walmer, as all three pubs existed at the same time as listed in the 1840 Pigot's directory, although so far not found after 1877.

The Deal History Society give a date as early as 1824 and the address as "Top of King's Arms Alley."

The Sandwich Borough Records shows Licensed Victuallers who paid for new Inn signs, 6s. 8d, and Sureties of 5 on 12th September, 1662. Unfortunately, there was no address given but I am assuming this to be the same premises.

There is reference to a John nelson, who in 1818 was shot in the doorway to the pub having been involved in some sort of smuggling dispute.


Sale of the manor of Chamberlain's Fee (KAO U.924 P 9/4) 1828

INNS in the sale catalogue

All that Messuage tenement or Public House No.176 in Beach Street, commonly called or known by the name or sign of the "King's Arms" and the outhouses, edifices, buildings, stable, yard and ground thereunto belonging, and now in the occupation of John Petty; together with a small messuage or tenement at the back of the "Globe" in a passage leading from Middle Street, in the occupation of Thomas Beach; and also a piece of land or Ground now used as a way of passage leading as well from the "Globe" as from other premises to the Middle Street there. These premises are subject to a lease granted to Matthew William Sankey for 21 years from 29th September 1812 at the yearly rent of 3. 13s. 0d. and to a Covenant  therein contained for renewal thereof for a like term of 21 years at the end of 18 of the existing term, upon payment of a fine of 3. 9s. 0d.


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Tuesday 12 June 1849.


Important sale of the extensive Brewery of Messr's Flint, including 30 old established Inns and Public Houses, and other valuable property.

Mr. V. J., has received instructions to sell by auction, at the "Fountain Hotel," Canterbury, on Tuesday and Wednesday, 26th and 27th of June, at 12 o'clock each day, (in consequence of the death of the senior acting partner and the retirement of the surviving partners,) the valuable property known as Messrs. Flint's Brewery, in Stour Street, Canterbury, and the Inns, Public Houses, and other valuable property connected with theirwith. The first day sale on Tuesday, 26th June, 1849, will comprise the following property in and near the city.

Public houses.

Lot 1. The "City of Canterbury," situate on the road to Whitstable. Freehold.

Lot 2. The "George and Dragon," Westgate without, leasehold under Hind's charity for 17 years unexpired.

Lot 3. The "Three Compasses," Westgate within. Freehold.

Lot 4. The "Bell Inn" and Coach Office, in the High Street. Freehold.

Lot 5. The "Prince of Wales," St. Alphege Lane,. Freehold.

Lot 6. The "Weavers Arms," Broad Street, freehold and partly leasehold.

Lot 7. The "White Swan," Northgate. Leasehold under St. John's Hospital for a short term, at a ground rent.

Lot 8. The "Kings Head," Northgate. Freehold.

Lot 9. The "Swan Inn," at Sturry (close to the railway station). Freehold.

Lot 10. The "Ship," St. Martins Hill, freehold.

Lots 12. The "Star Commercial Inn and Tap," St George's, close to the Cattle market and Dane John. Freehold.

Lot 13. The "Blue Anchor," Old Dover Lane, near the Cattle market. Freehold.

Lot 14. The "Fleece Inn," High Street, opposite to the Corn market. Freehold.

Lot 28. Three neat Cottages opposite the Brewery, with large gardens extending to the river.

Lot 29. The "Two Brewers" public house and Spirit Warehouse, adjoining the last lot.

Lot 31. The "Black Dog" public house, Castle Street.

Lot 34. The "Duke's Head" Public House, Wincheap Street.

Lot 35. The "King's Head," Public House, Wincheap Street.

Lot 37. The "Royal Exchange," public house, Stour Street.

Lot 38. The "Kentish Arms," public house, and 5 cottages in Jewry Lane. Leasehold for a short term at a low rent.

Lot 40. The "Duke William," at Ickham, abiout five miles from Canterbury. Freehold.

Lot 41. The "Royal Oak Inn," at Deal. Freehold except a small portion.

Lot 42. The "King's Arms," Beach Street, Deal, and Cottage in the rear. leasehold for a short term, at a Ground rent.

Lot 43. The "Fleur De Lis," near the Railway Station, Dover. Leasehold for a term of 6 years, at a Ground rent of 3.

Lot 44. The "Two Brewers," Limekiln Street, Dover. leasehold for a term of 46 years, at a ground rent of 3.

Lot 45. The "Fountain Inn, adjoining the Market place at Dover. Freehold.

Lot 46. The "Lord Nelson," Radnor Street, near the harbour, Folkestone. Freehold.

Lot 47. The "Bricklayers Arms," Fancy Street, Folkestone. Freehold.

Lot 48. The "Castle Inn," at Sandgate. Leasehold for a short term, at a ground rent of 7s. 6d.

Lot 49. The "King's Head Hotel and Tap," at Margate. Freehold.

Lot 50. The "New Inn," at Elham, on the road to Hythe. Freehold.

Lot 51. The "King's Arms," at Milton near Sittingbourne. Freehold.

The Public Houses are for the most part in the occupation of unexceptionable tenants, and the majority of them are doing trades, both in beer and spirits, considerably above the average run of Country houses. (None of them have been beer shops; they're all old Licence Houses, with connections of long standing, thereby affording ample security for the permanency of the trade). The Premises generally are in a superior state of repair.

Particulars and Plans, price 1s. each, may be had of Messr's. Furleys and Mercer, Solicitors, Canterbury; at the "Fountain Hotel;" and of Mr. V. J. Collins, 3, Moorgate Street, London.


From the Deal, Walmer & Sandwich Mercury, 18 June, 1870.


Or other persons requiring an


Mr. G. West has received instructions to see by auction, on Tuesday, 5th July, 1870, all that Convenient FREEHOLD INN, known as the "King's Arms," pleasantly situated in the Beach Street, commanding an uninterrupted view of the Downs, Goodwin Sands, Coast of France, &c.

A good Trade has for many years been carried on, and the Buildings are in an excellent state of repair, there having been a considerable sum expended on them within the last few years.

The House contains 7 Bedrooms, W.C., 3 Sitting-rooms, Bar, Bar Parlour, good Domestic Offices, large Yard, and an extensive range of Buildings in the rear, with back entrance into Middle Street, and an excellent supply of good water.

Time of Sale 2 for 3 o'clock in the Afternoon, on the Premises of the above.

THE OLD ESTABLISHED BUSINESS TO BE DISPOSED OF, offering an excellent opportunity to any Person requiring a good and responsible Trade.

The STOCK, FURNITURE, TRADE-FITTINGS, &c., to be taken at a valuation in the usual way.

For further Particulars and Conditions of Sale enquire at the Auctioneer, or of, Mr. J. C. Martin, Solicitor, Deal and Sandwich.


From the Deal, Walmer & Sandwich Mercury, 24 February, 1872.


The license of the "Kings' Arms Inn," Beach Street was endorsed from Mrs. Boakes to Mr. Robert Fleming, late of Dover.



The Deal Licensing Register states that on 13 September 1877 the renewal of the licence was refused, but no reason to date is known. However, the "Royal Exchange" was situated at number 175 Beach Street, right next door.

Shortly after closure in 1877 and by the 1900's the building became part of the Enfield boarding house, with other houses along the same street.

In the 1960's to 80's the premises was home to a number of private members clubs and has been known as the "Pink Shell," "Oasis," "North Beach," "Beach," and the "Baron's Club" to name a few, with different owners such as Arthur Fuller, Baron browning and Peter and Ann Young, but is now (2010) a private residence.



WYBORNE John to 1794 dec'd

WHITE James 1804-24

PETTY John 1824-48

PETTY Ann 1848+

BOAKES John 1856+

BOAKES Richard 1861+ (age 41 in 1861Census)

BOAKES Eliza Ann 1863+

BIGGLESTONE Humphrey 1662+

WHITE James 1804+

WHITE Thomas 1823-24 Pigot's Directory 1823Pigot's Directory 1824

PETTY John 1824-48 Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839Pigot's Directory 1840Bagshaw's Directory 1847 alehouse

PETTY Mary Ann 1848-50+ Deal Licensing Register

BOAKES Richard John 1856-63 Melville's 1858Kelly's 1862

BOAKES Mrs Eliza Ann Oct/1863-Feb/72 Kelly's 1874Post Office Directory 1874Deal Mercury

FLEMING Robert Feb/1872-Oct/73 dec'd

BOAKES Mrs Eliza Ann Oct/1873-77


Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1824From the Pigot's Directory 1824

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Kelly's 1862From the Kelly's Directory 1862

Kelly's 1874From the Kelly's Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Deal Licensing RegisterDeal Licensing Register


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-